Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Gloaming

One of the reasons I love Ottawa is the sky. I felt this way about Halifax too, but it was a different kind of sky there. Faster, by far. You could almost always see the clouds moving if you looked up in Halifax. Whipping, occasionally. I never felt like that about Toronto.

I was at Oni's launch tonight. We sat down around 8:30 or so, and about 15 minutes in, the clouds turned red. I watched them for a while, and the red shifted to coral, streaked with nacre. The clouds were moving, slowly herre, so an angle of blue sky appeared between the buildings and the ridges of clouds. I love when geometric city configurations : a white building cut with brown window casings, slicing down to the arched roof of the red brick building next to it : collide with organic shapes. A slightly dissonant call-and-response.

Other than that, I'm crabby. Bought the wrong rack for the back of my bike, so tomorrow I can't run the errands I was hoping to. Not with efficient zooming bike speed, at any rate. I forgot my flash drive at work, so I can't work on the new poem I started today.

I should be ecstatic there's even anything to work on at all, considering the trickle of work I've been producing the past couple of years.

And I leave for Baltimore for the Special Libraries' Assocation conference. I don't know what I was thinking, that I planned two trips so close together. I won't know anyone in Baltimore, and fuck networking. I'm taking a typewriter and spending the nights in my room.

No comments: