Sunday, February 12, 2006

Sign of the Times

I've always known how to use the phrase "halcyon days," but this morning as I opened the curtains and saw the sun and the sparkling snow I realized I didn't know what the words actually meant or where they came from.

Seeing as how I'd just turned on the computer to figure out how to cast on 8-stitches for the top of the thumbhole for the mittens I'm knitting (cast on, sure, but with what, fuck?). The internet solves my problems.

I ended up at wikipedia, shuffling around looking for the right kind of halcyon. I ended up at Alcyone a Greek demi-goddess. Her entry tells a tale of death, despair and supernatural feats. It also comes with this disclaimer:

This article is about Greek Mythology; for the car, see Subaru Alcyone.

Magical.

No comments: