Thursday, December 07, 2006

Home

Ah! My own bed in a room that gets daylight and doesn't hum. Bliss bliss bliss.

This was the view from my hotel room. You might have to wait for a moment or two for your eyes to adjust to the gloom.

So relaxing. My co-worker had a "Fallsview" room up on the 19th floor, with a fireplace and a gorgeous view. I said to him that my view made me a little anxious because I'd be screwed if there were a fire. "And I wouldn't?" he pointed out, "Nowhere for me to go but a long way down."

The conference was good, I learned a lot about what people in my field want to know, which is why I go to these things. But I feel a bit saturated.

Nice to have this morning off, but it's been a long few days. Conferences are not easy places for introverts.

I did skip a boring lunch keynote to walk to the United States, where they grilled me about what I was doing.

"Where are you going?" the officer asked.
"That promontory over there." I did actually use the word promontory.


"Why are you going there?" the interrogation continued.
"Because it looks pretty?" I mean for god's sake, why else the fuck would someone want to walk out there over very fast moving water that is very very far below? Why would anyone even build a structure like that if it weren't to look at something pretty? Niagara Falls, ON and Niagara Falls, NY currently exist for no other reason except that the falls are grand and mesmerizing to watch. Why would I want to go look at them? It was like she was questioning her own existence.

Anyway, I didn't manage to get any shots from the Canadian side because I didn't have time to walk the 5 minutes down from the hotel to see them. But our view is much better, if the view from my co-worker's hotel room can be trusted.





No comments: