Thursday, November 23, 2006

Girl Detective

Last night was fun. Fun! Fun! We had the first Girl Detective practice! I managed to hit some of the right notes, in some kind of reasonably stead rhythm, though it fell all to hell when I tried to sing at the same time. Misse and Jennifer kept saying how rusty they were, but they sounded totally great to me. We're going to rehearse every week. I don't know that we'll ever get out of Misse's basement, but I also don't really care. It's fun to do. Playing bass is so easy compared to guitar. "What are the chords?" I'd ask, and then just play one note for the 50 that Jennifer had to manage.

It's just so great to be playing again. Though it's gotten better in the past few years, I've been bitching for ages about how they're aren't that many women in bands. So many of my indie rock nights are also sausage fests, and often my discomfort with that would burble up. But I never did anything about it. Until, as Jennifer said, we decided to put our music where our mouths are.

This week is bananas. Tonight I want to get out for a run, then I'm off to pick up some formula for the Grs (though I have a sneaking suspicion that it's actually for Ruby and Fiona), then a date with the Great Dater. Friday night, raight after work is yoga, dinner with Shelley (yay!), Best of the Xpress party, and then a house party.

Saturday is the zine launch. And can I just say that the reaction we're getting to this is weird. Weird weird. On Monday, we're doing an interview on Ottawa Morning (at 8:20 am)! We just did an interview with CHUO last night. There's an article in the Xpress today. I mentioned to Greg how strange it seemed that people were more excited about my manners writing than my sex writing and he said "Well, sex is so common. How many polite people do you know?"

3 comments:

Amanda Earl said...

that's so great...i'll miss the best of party because i'll be in montreal at expozine and then at a ron sexsmith concert :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome band name!

Asteroidea Press said...

Thanks David! It was Jennifer's idea. I'm pretty in love with it.

I've got good calluses starting.