Thursday, January 12, 2006

Random News Stories, and Some of Them Are Old

First, last night I was listening to the CBC. Not listening so much as using it for a comforting aural blanket while I ate my channa dal and read. There were murmurings in the background about the bird flu moving slower through Turkey (the country) than experts expected. Murmuring changes to Expert Voice, and starts in on this long list of why that might be. Smack dab in the middle of this list is "a new form of human-chicken interaction".

Now, this raises some questions for me.
1) When did slaughter get classified as an "interaction"?
2) How many *old* forms of human-chicken interaction are there?
3) Were the old ones not good enough? Did people become bored with the ol' same ol' same ol' on the human-chicken interaction front?

And then, because I can, I did a google search for "human-chicken interaction" and came across this article. If you are ever in a bad mood, just whisper the phrase "This is the first human-poultry interaction system ever developed" and I promise you'll feel better.

Other stories of note:
Brain Protein May Be Linked to Depression
Brains are fascinating. A tiny little protein and it makes you feel so bad. It's weird to think about finding a cure for it though. I went through a 2-year major depressive episode in my early 20s, and while I barely escaped, certainly didn't come out unscathed, and was more than happy to kiss the ass-end of my 20s goodbye, I'm not sure I'd trade the experience, either. Though at the time, brain surgery sure would have seemed like a good option.

Swingers clubs don't harm society, top court rules
"The judges, in a 7-2 ruling, said the test for indecency is the harm it causes, and not simply community standards." And amen to that. Defining harm is still pretty tricky, but a bit further up the slippery slope from defining community standards.

No comments: