Thursday, August 25, 2005

Music music zombie music

Saw Holger Schoorl play last night at the Aloha. His music is a lot like him. Complicated, a bit hard to understand, very funny when you get what he’s getting at. A is for abstruse. But sweet and honest and open, which is pretty rare.

I knew the bartender. The conversation went like this.

"So, Mike tells me you’ve written a book."

I know that he’s thinking "novel," a big thick book, a real book, and not a bunch of poems stapled together.

"Yeah, it’s poetry."

"Oh. I don’t like poetry." He shakes his head, "Sorry, just being honest."

"Well, it is mostly about sex." That usually gets 'em, I think.

"I don’t like sex."

I think he was joking. About the sex part, anyway.

Other good stuff coming up in Ottawa that I will be going to see:

Clark
Sat 27th, Babylon

Megan Jerome Trio
Central Canada’s answer to Veda Hille.
Mon 29th, Manx (I think, but maybe it’s on Sunday)

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, w/Hi Lo Trons
CYHSY doesn’t seem to have a grip on naming thing (like, say, themselves), but good music. And I always love me some Hi Lo Trons.
Sun Sep 4th, Zaphod’s

The Gossip w/a bunch of other people.
Like the Detroit Cobras. And queer. This is for Ladyfest Ottawa
Fri Sep 23rd, Babylon

There’s more Ladyfest stuff going on the weekend of the 17th, but I’m hoping to be in Kingston checking out the bedside manner of a cute doctor.

No comments: